Exporting course components
You can export components from your course offering to a file. This allows you to reuse these components in another learning management system, including another Desire2Learn Learning Environment, or to store the components and then re-import them into another course offering or template at a later date.
Components are exported to an IMSCP-compliant zip file, a standard file format based on the IMS Content Packaging specification, meaning you should be able to reuse these components in any learning management system that supports this format.
User Data and exporting course components
User data is not exported. For example, if you export the dropbox component, none of the assignments submitted to dropbox folders are exported. Similarly, if you export the discussions component, messages posted to discussions topics will not be exported.
Links and associations between components
Associations between components will not be exported. The IMS Content Packaging specification, which the format for export files is based on, does not support these associations (for example, Quicklinks, links to grade items, release conditions, etc.).
Components that you can export
The following components can be exported:
- course files
- external links
- grades (except calculated grade items)
- navigation bar templates
- question library
- self assessments
- Go to the Import/Export/Copy page for your course offering.
- To access this page, do one of the following:
- Click the Edit Course link on your course navigation bar, then click Import/Export/Copy Components.
- In the Course Administration widget on your course homepage, click Import/Export/Copy Components.
- Select Export Components. If you want to include any files associated with components, select Include course files in the export package. Click Next.
- Select the components you want to export using the check box next to each component.
- To export only certain items from a component, choose Select individual items to export. This allows you to select, for example, individual quizzes, FAQ sections, dropbox folders, etc.
- When you are finished selecting components, click Next.
- If you chose “Select individual items to export” for any component in the previous step, the Select Items page appears.
- This page lists all of the items and any sub-items contained in the current component. (For example, on the Select Dropbox Items page, you will see all of the dropbox folders and categories.)
- Select the individual items and sub-items you want to export and click Next.
- Click Next to begin the export.
- The Export Course Components page is displayed, showing the export progress.
- When a component has been successfully exported, a green check mark appears beside it. If any component fails to export properly, a red X will appear beside it.
- When the process is finished, click Done.
- A final Export Summary page is displayed where you can download the export file.
- To download the file, click on the link that says Click here to download the export Zip package. Choose a location to save the file and save it.
Note If you do not download the file from this screen, it is lost. You cannot download it later.
© 1999-2010 Desire2Learn Incorporated. All rights reserved.