Using the drawing tool
The drawing tool is used to edit resources in the Canvas/Resource viewer. You can use the drawing tool to annotate diagrams and web pages, work out an equation, create flow charts, brainstorm, and more.
Unless the room’s moderator allows you to do more, you will only be able to view resources in the Canvas/Resource viewer. If the moderator allows you to modify a canvas, the Modify Canvas icon appears beside your name on the Room Members list and a message is posted in the Chat window. The drawing tool bar appears in the Canvas/Resource viewer enabling you to modify the resource.
Ask permission to edit a canvas
Right click on the name of the resource you want to modify in the Presentation explorer, and select Request Permission and then Request Modify Canvas.
Draw a shape
- Click the Shape Creation Tool icon and choose a shape from the drop-down list that displays.
- Select the line color, line style, and fill color for the shape using the color pickers and drop-down lists.
- Click on the Canvas and add an object. Depending on the shape you choose, you can drag, draw, or click with the mouse to create a shape on the canvas.
Select, move, or resize a shape
- Click the Selection Tool icon.
- Do one of the following:
- Click the shape
- Click and drag to select all shapes inside a rectangular area
- Hold CTRL while dragging to turn the selection tool into a “lasso” tool, allowing you to select objects within an area of any shape
- Move selected shapes by dragging the mouse pointer to the desired area.
- Resize a selected shape by clicking and dragging one of the square handles that appear around the perimeter of a selected object.
Note If you hold shift while resizing an object it maintains its original proportions.
Rotate or skew a shape
- Double-click on the shape with the Selection tool.
- Click and drag one of the curved arrows to rotate the shape, or one of the straight arrows to skew the shape.
Move a shape in front of or behind other shapes
- Select the shape.
- Click the arrow next to the Layer Tool icon, and select one of the following:
- Move Forwards Moves shape forward one level.
- Move Backwards Moves shape backwards one level.
- Move to Front Moves shape to the very front level.
- Move to Back Moves shape to the very back level.
Remove or erase a shape
Do one of the following:
- Select the object, and click Delete on your keyboard.
- Select the object, right click, and choose Delete Selected.
- Select the line color and fill color for the text using the color pickers.
- Click the arrow next to the Shape Tool icon and select “Text” from the drop-down list. The Shape Tool icon changes to show the Text Creation Tool icon.
- Click on the area in the Canvas where you want the text to appear (you can move it later).
- Enter the text you want in the box that displays “Sample Text.”
- Select the Font Type and Font Size, and click the Bold or Italics icons to change the appearance of the text.
- Click Okay.
Set the line color to No Line to create text without outlines.
You cannot add line breaks. Pressing the Return or Enter keys will save the current text settings. Add separate text objects for separate lines.
Select the text, right click, and choose Edit Text and Font.
You can add an image to a canvas as long as the image is available on the internet and you know its address or URL. After an image is inserted, it can be selected, stretched, resized, rotated, and skewed like any other shape.
Add an image
- Click on the arrow next to the Shape Tool icon and select “Image” from the drop-down list. The Shape Tool icon changes to show the Image Creation Tool icon.
- Click on the area in the Canvas where you want the image to appear (you can move it later).
- Enter the web address where the image is located beginning with http://, and click OK.
Note If you get a broken image icon instead of the picture you wanted, then the address you entered into the URL field is incorrect or LiveRoom cannot access that location.
Your session moderate may use equations to illustrate a point or provide an example. They can also give you and other session participants access to the canvas so you can solve the equation and demonstrate your learning.
Add an equation
- Click on the arrow next to the Shape Tool icon and select “Equation” from the drop-down list. The Shape Tool icon changes to show the Equation Creation Tool icon.
- Click on the area in the Canvas where you want the equation to appear (you can move it later).
- Use the tool bar options to build an equation, and click OK.
Edit an equation
Select the equation, right click, and choose Edit Equation.